Thursday, March 21, 2013

We have come to the end...


We have come to the end of nursing. While I was pregnant with G, I was skeptical on the whole nursing thing. But I was willing to give it a shot. My goal was to nurse for six month then start to transition to formula. Without going into too much detail, nursing was a very trying process. There were many days that I just wanted to give it up. Josh, my mother-in-law, experienced moms and the numerous lactations consultants I saw encouraged me to push through. After a rough road, we made it through. I can't say that I ever quiet sure I enjoyed doing the whole nursing process. I knew it was what was best for G, she enjoyed it, and it was convenient.

A week before G turned 6 months old. I realized that I was done. G received exclusively breast milk - either through nursing or pumped bottles - for six months. I reached my goal! Then I followed through and transition her to formula. I did not know how I would feel the first time I gave her a bottle of formula. She loved it and did not act like there was anything different in the bottle. That made me feel a bit better that I was not taking something away from her that she loved. I slowly weaned her until she was just nursing to sleep at night and for the middle of the night feeding. This was mainly because I couldn't quiet figure out the whole routine to prepare a bottle thing in the middle.

G is official exclusively bottle and solid baby food now. I've stopped nursing her at any point during the day when we got back from our trip to Florida. We have also used up all the stored frozen milk. She received her last bit of breast milk Wednesday, March 20 while she was in childcare at church. Although, I am sure that I have missed one and will find a frozen bag of breast milk when I one day clean out the freezer.

Props to those ladies that continue to breast feed longer. I have no idea how you do it and I have a great deal of respect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment