Wanted to write down the story of the day of Eleanor's birth - before I forget.
I guess it all started when I woke up around 5am with some cramping in my lower abdomen. Honestly I thought I needed to go number two (sorry, TMI?). So I got up to use the restroom and had no such luck. I got back in bed, hoping to go back to sleep for an hour or two. It was common for me to having some cramping or a contraction after using the restroom in the middle of the night. So I tried not to think about it too much
But I kept having the pain. So I switch positions and played on my phone hoping to distract myself for a bit. Next time I had a twinge I paid more attention to it. It was definitely a contraction. 5 minutes later another one came up. After I had 3 definite contractions each 5 minutes apart, I decided to wake Josh up. He started timing my contractions. He also got me some water since I had contractions due to dehydration two weeks prior. I drank some water and took a hot shower. The shower helped relieve some of the pain and discomfort. I still was having contractions but it effected my ability to know the exact timing of them.
I got out of the shower and Josh quickly took one and got himself dressed. By now it was 6:30ish. I was having stronger contractions of varying lengths and space between them. I called my midwife. She gave me the option to come into the office when it opened at 8 or just go ahead into the hospital. I opted to just head into the hospital. We quickly got things ready to go and got Genevieve ready. She had heard us talking and moving around so she was already awake.
Josh got a hold of his sister so she could meet us at the hospital to collect Genevieve. She watched Genevieve for us during the day while we were at the hospital.
I walked into the hospital at 8am. Went throughout registration. Having a couple contractions while at the registration desk. I remember the lady mentioning that one form I was signing would be kept on file if I wasn't admitted. The thought of that made me want to cry. I really think registration/check-in is the worst idea ever for laboring moms. I have no idea what I signed at registration.
We headed up to Labor and Delivery. They got me into a room and changed into a gown. The nurse was asking some questions and even gave me a lecture on using a nipple shield too long when I nursed Genevieve. Josh took control of the conversation and brought up that we were only at the hospital for 30 minutes before our other daughter was born. The lady finally got the clue and checked me. I was 8 centimeters dilated but my water had not broken. Into action she went.
I was in major pain now and having a lot of difficulty managing contractions. The nurse was also trying to start an IV. After two unsuccessful attempts, she gave up. Things were definitely moving along so the nurse checked me and quickly decided to give the midwife a call to come in. She kept saying that once my water broke, I would have a baby. Just as she was leaving the room the midwife walked in. The nurse did look a bit relieved. The midwife had just come from my sister-in-law's monthly OB appointment in the office and had just seen Genevieve. How crazy is that?
The midwife broke my water and asked if I felt the need to push. Just like with Genevieve, I never felt the desire to push. But knowing that would be the solution to relieving my pain, I agreed to try. With the next contraction I got in the position to push. But then freaked out from the pain. Everyone encouraged me to push anyways and out popped Eleanor. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, one push. Josh said that anyone how knows Genevieve's birth story will definitely hate me more. Let me be clear. Just because I have babies quickly and I don't have drugs, doesn't mean I am not in a good deal of pain.
They put Eleanor on my chest. She was purple which I was expecting but wasn't crying. I asked if she was okay and they quickly assured me she was fine. The midwife started drying her off and she quickly started making noise. Josh assured me she was in fact a girl as we had expected.
Both the midwife and nurse were surprised on how quickly I delivered. Josh has been kidding me that the nurse needed an outfit change after Eleanor's splashful delivery.
Eleanor spent the rest of the day recovering from her delivery experience and bath. She wasn't interested in nursing until the evening but loved cuddling with Josh and I. I had always planned for Josh to go home in the evening so Genevieve could sleep in her own bed. Since Eleanor wasn't eating he was a bit nervous to leave us at the hospital. He went to feed and walk Daisy and put Genevieve down for the night at his sister's house. Turns out while he was gone Eleanor woke up and nurse for 40 minutes. He still ended up staying at the hospital with me which I was grateful for.
We were given the option to stay another night at the hospital but opted to come home. I didn't sleep well. Seemed like people were continuously slamming doors and waking me up. Plus Eleanor had been showing more of an interest in nursing so we felt comfortable going home.
So hard to believe she is actually here. She is a huge blessing and we are so in love with her. So crazy to believe that God has blessed us with another baby. Seems likes just yesterday we were going through all of this with Genevieve.
No comments:
Post a Comment