Saturday, January 31, 2015

Recipe Remix - Turkey Santa Fe Zucchini Boats

Josh jokes that I can't follow a recipe for the life of me. And he's probably right about that. I always read a recipe before cooking but once I get going I combine steps or ingredients. So I wanted to share with you one of our favorite recipes I found on Pinterest and tell you about my modifications.

Turkey Santa Fe Zucchini Boats:

I do use the same ingredients as she lists except in different quantities

Ingredients:

  • 1(ish) pound ground turkey - I buy ground turkey in 3 pound increments so I just guess what a 1/3 of the container
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, chopped (this can be left out if you don't like them)
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • cumin to taste
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro - fresh or dried (okay I was out of this ingredient today but I normal use it) 
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 15 ounces can black beans, drained
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 5-6 zucchinis
  • 2 15 ounce can salsa
  • Mexican-blend shredded cheese
Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. This is where I combine a lot of her steps. I brown the ground turkey, onion, jalapeño, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin together.
  3. I completely skip the boiling the zucchini part. Cut the zucchinis in half and hallow them out and set a side
  4. Once the turkey is browned (I don't drain but feel free to), I add the tomato, black beans, corn, cilantro and hallowed out zucchini guts. Warm through.
  5. Empty one can of salsa in to each 8x10 glass pan. Place zucchinis on top of salsa.
  6. Fill zucchinis with turkey mixture. Once the zucchinis are full, if there is still turkey mixture, just continue to spread it over the zucchinis. 
  7. Top with Mexican-blend shredded cheese
  8. Bake for 35 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment