Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Hospital Bag

After last weeks OB appointment, I decided that it was time to pack the hospital bag. You know, just in case. When I was expecting Genevieve, I packed my bag and barely used anything out of it. This time I feel a bit more prepared and feel like I know a little more what to expect in the hospital. I found the list I used last time and added and subtracted to it. I hope to do another post after the baby is born with what I actually end up using this time around.

Mommy's Bag

  • Ziploc Bag- This was on the list from the first time. The lady who taught the childbirth class recommended this to put the baby's hat in for Josh to take home at nights for the dog to smell. I assume Daisy will be fine this time around but who knows. 
  • Slippers - Hospital floors seem disgusting to me.
  • Maternity Bras
  • Nursing Pads - I don't expect to use these since my milk came in last time after I was already home
  • Toiletry Bag - You know anything you would take for a night in a hotel. Shampoo, Conditioner,  Face Wash, Body Wash, Lotion, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Contact Solution, Contact Case, Deodorant, Lanolin (a must for nursing moms)
  • Suckers - This was also on the list from last time. I know I didn't even get around to purchasing these, let alone using them. The lady who taught the childbirth class recommended them for during labor. In face, I still have to buy these this time too.
  • iPhone and Charger
  • Laptop and Charger
  • Clothes for Josh - This was on the list from last time as well and never got used. We were at the hospital for less than an hour in the middle of the night when Genevieve was born and Josh went home to sleep so he didn't need anything out of the bag. But if he had to meet me at the hospital in work clothes and my labor had been really long, he probably would have wanted the sweatpants and t-shirt I packed.
  • Going home outfit - Yoga pants and a shirt
  • Hairdryer
  • Underwear
  • PJs - I was really uncomfortable wearing the hospital gown the entire time the first time around so I wanted to have my own PJs this time around.
  • Flip flops for the shower
  • Folder - You seem to get a lot of pieces of paper while your in the hospital so I packed a folder last time to put everything in and went through it once I got home
  • Nipple Shield - Had to use this in order for Genevieve to properly nurse and anticipate that I will have to again.
  • Make Up - This didn't get packed last time and is one of the key reasons there is only 1 photo taken of me in the hospital
  • Boppy - Didn't pack this the first time and just used the hospital pillows. But I definitely found it more comfortable to use the boppy to nurse once I was home
  • Wallet with insurance card and driver's license
  • Viacord Donation Kit
  • Postpartum support belt - Bought this when I was pregnant with Genevieve and never got around to actually using it. A friend had recommended it in case of a c-section to help support the belly and not feel like your insides are going to fall out. I'm planning to use it a bit this time for support. Don't know if I will get around to using it in the hospital though. My back has been hurting much more this time around and anticipate that won't go away right away and hope the belt with support the abs and back. 
Baby's Bag - I actually put this stuff in my suitcase since there isn't much. The hospital provides a lot for the baby, i.e. diapers, wipes, etc. 
  • Outfit for baby to come home in
  • Blanket for trip home
  • Onesie and newborn sticker - With Genevieve we took a picture of her every month in a onesie with her monthly age sticker. I have every intention of doing this with baby number two so we need to take the newborn picture in the hospital.
  • Pacifiers - Can't remember if the hospital provides these or not. Some hospitals are doing away with providing them in order to promote breastfeeding. I don't know if I will use them in the hospital either but if baby number two is anything like her big sister, we will definitely be stocking up on these.

I few of the items above aren't actually in the suitcase yet since I use them on a daily bases and don't have extra ones. But I do have a post-it note in the suitcase of what isn't there so they can be grabbed last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment