Monday, April 14, 2014

Youth and Cell Phones

In today's technologically advanced world, cell phones are in the hands of everyone - young and old. It seems that most people are carrying around smart phones. You know the ones that are basically small, touch screen computers? In fact when was the last time you say an old school flip phone? Do they even sell cell phones that are just plain old phones?

I admit that I am probably a little more addicted to my iPhone then one probably should be. I like to have it handy to take pictures, mainly of Genevieve and what she's doing. I expect that baby number two's arrival will help me with my addiction. I also admit that I do let Genevieve play on mine. She likes to look at the pictures and videos I've taken. She points out the people in the pictures, actually just mainly Daddy and Daisy. I do have one app that she can play with. It's a coloring app that holds her attention for a minute if we need to distract her. I do have a passcode on my phone that she has yet to figure out.

Yesterday at church I was quite appalled by the number of young children playing games on their smart phones during the church service. I know it's difficult for young ones to pay attention during the service. Trust me I have my moments as well. I bet parents are trying to keep them quiet and not allow them to distract others. But I can't believe that playing on the cell phone is the solution.

Which leads me to my main question, when do you think cell phones are appropriate for children? And what do you think is appropriate to be on them?

No comments:

Post a Comment